Just keep breathing

15 03 2009

So, Ed made it through his surgery and immediately went to ICU so they could keep a close watch on the other health issues. He was still under some heavy medication and I had to keep waking him up to remind him to breath. They had him hooked up to bells and alarms that would go off when his O2 level would drop. I had to trust that they were watching him better than I could do and I finally went home to sleep in my own bed. That was a short lived luxury. The next night, I thought I would go home again and Ed asked me to stay just a little longer. The nurse was trying to wash him up and change the bed sheets under him. He had a large foam wedge strapped between his legs to keep them a certain distance apart. Another nurse had come in to help the first one turn him over. I watched as they pushed and pulled him, one nurse in front of him and one in back, onto his right hip. The foam wedge was securely strapped to each leg which resulted in his left leg standing up in the air as he tottered on his right hip. Suddenly, the nurse in front of Ed decided to walk away from him to reach a pillow on the other side of the room. He began to fall forward, all the while yelling, “Hey,hey,hey!!!!!” I ran in front of him just in time for his left leg to hit my shoulder and stop his impending fall to the floor. The nurse who had stepped away put the pillows on the bed and walked out of the room in a hurry. I was horrified. Ed’s eyes were the size of saucers. I asked the remaining nurse what the heck just happened and she smiled and said, “Good thing you were right there.” I just held onto my husband for dear life.

After that, I did not leave the ICU most nights until 10PM when I was sure they were finished moving him around for the night and I returned at 7AM when the shift changed so I could see who his nurse for the day would be. Dear friends came to sit with him so I could go get lunch or run home to get something to eat. Ed’s appetite was kind of puny so sometimes our friends would bring chicken soup for him or a sandwich for me. Every visit, every prayer and every phone call was a blessing.

That was the worst of the hospital stay. I hated every day that we were there but they did get him to the place where he could take a few steps with a walker. Now, he is in a Rehab Facility and he is doing sooo much better. He has learned to walk a little distance with his walker and get himself in and out of the bed and into his wheel chair. Ed is motivated to be home in time for his birthday, March 24. I believe he can do it.

Next post will be about the sweetest words to my ears.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: